Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Social Bookmarking with Diigo

This week I have been exploring some of the features of Diigo, a social bookmarking tool. Social bookmarking tools allow you to curate some of the information that you find on the Web and share it with others. I have been saving  websites on both Delicious and Diigo for a while now but I never had the time to explore all the other features that Diigo has to offer .Both resources allow you to save annotated  links to websites videos, and pictures. They also make it easy to organize and share what you have found. Although these are great features, I have discovered this week that Diigo is so much more than that.
Diigo is a personal research tool.  Not only can you save your favorite resources and share them with others, you can highlight , add sticky notes, write comments, and collaborate with others.
Teachers can register for Educator Accounts which allow them to register the members of their class and form groups. It is a perfect way to have students collaborate on projects. I have embedded a video below so you can see some of the basic features of Diigo. There are also many tutorials on the site.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful way for students to coordinate and keep track of research! My sophomores are working on a research project right now...I'll have to tell them about this as they begin to sift through their online sources. It's always such a nightmare when they can't keep track of what they've already looked at online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not used the sticky notes or highlighting before but Diigo has been a lifesaver for me.
    I would also highly recommend Easybib. It is a citation generator. (I also use Noodle tools)
    The great thing about EasyBib is its ease of use. It also has a digital note card feature and the research tab shows students sites that others have found useful on the topic they have chosen.
    I tell students to open the citation generator first thing and keep it open as they do research. That way that have all their citations when they are done. It even shows
    them what the parenthetical citation should look like.

    ReplyDelete